Hey friends! So I don’t know about you, but it takes a lot for me to get out of bed in the morning. Like, a lot. To the point where sometimes I’ll get up a half hour before I’m supposed to clock in to work.
Yeah, that’s a problem.
So I’ve been trying to get myself up at a relatively normal time for the past week and it’s been working! Which I’m genuinely shocked about. But it’s definitely been helping my overall day. I’ve felt more productive, full of energy, less anxious and stressed, and overall more alert to everything just from getting up earlier.
It’s extremely important to develop a routine catered to your daily schedule and habits, and for me waking up early is a must in order for me to feel mentally stable and energized.
So here are some things I do to help rid my bad habits/what I do once I’m up.
- Be aware of how much sleep your body truly needs. I’ve noticed if I get 7 hours of sleep per night, I feel really great, even more so than I would if I slept for 8 hours. So I always aim to go to bed early and wake up at a good time.
- Disconnect from technology before sleep. A lot of the time I’ll scroll aimlessly on my phone for hours before bed instead of relaxing. Putting aside your phone and laptop an hour or so before bed is not only good for your eyes, but also help ensure you will go to bed quicker.
- Plug your phone in across the room. It’s a really good trick to ensure that you will get out of bed when the alarm goes off in the morning. I think you will find that once you’re actually out of the comfort of your sheets, you will usually choose to start your day.
- Develop a morning routine you look forward to. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, so I always look forward to taking a few minutes to actually make something healthy instead of eating a sugary granola bar as I run out the door. I also love having my morning coffee and watching my favorite YouTubers as I do my makeup. These are all things I don’t have the time to do if I wake up super late, so having a routine that I look forward to gives me that extra push to wake up on time.
- Develop a skin care routine for morning. Not only does it help your skin improve, but it will also help you feel more awake between the products and splashing water on your face. If it doesn’t, gargle some mouthwash while you’re there. That always wakes me right up.
- Get a little movement in. My mornings are pretty hectic, and I still don’t have enough self discipline to get up around 4 or 5am to be able to hit the gym, so a quick morning yoga is always fun. But I have a crazy Labrador Retriever so I always get up and moving when I take her outside to use the bathroom and get a little walk in before starting my day. Stretches are also a good way to get a move a little in the morning! Whatever is is you like to do, and fits in your schedule, give it a go in the morning and see how you like it!
- Stay hydrated. I don’t think I need to elaborate this one. We all know how fantastic water is for your body! Don’t like water? Try fruit infused water!
- Plan your day! I always like to bust out my notebook and make a list of what I want to get done while I sip my coffee in the morning. It helps me stay organized and productive, which also prevents my stress and anxiety from kicking in as much. So this is a must!
- This isn’t for everyone, but it is worth mentioning: Morning meditation, gratitude journals, writing, taking time for spiritual/religious beliefs, etc. may be a good task to add into your routine to stay grounded and full of light!
- Put some music on, or a podcast! I love wathing YouTube and Netflix in the mornings, but on days where I’m not working, I try to stray away or else I will watch it for way too long. So if I know I don’t have to go to work, I will put on a podcast and get ready or tidy the house. Audio books are nice too!